The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) seeks passionate, dedicated and skilled individuals to apply for NYIC VISTA positions (including two positions with the Workers’ Center of Central New York).
NYIC VISTA Overview
NYIC VISTAs are AmeriCorps VISTAs who – through the NYIC – engage in a year of full-time paraprofessional service in an agency, where they provide indirect support to immigrants living in poverty. NYIC VISTAs will be placed in 7 of the NYIC’s Member Agencies, in addition to the NYIC itself, in order to build sustainable organizational capacity in one or more of the following areas:
- Volunteer management
- Administrative systems
The sustainable capacity built in these areas will then be used to support various anti-poverty programs and services directed at immigrant communities.
NYIC VISTAs are supported with:
- AmeriCorps VISTA orientation, provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (August 26-29, 2014)
- NYIC VISTA 5-day training (September 2-6, 2014)
- Monthly professional development/networking webinars
- Monthly check-ins with NYIC staff
- Ongoing networking opportunities with other NYIC VISTAs
- Living allowance
- Health insurance
- Option of an end-of-year stipend or education award
The year of service for NYIC VISTAs is from September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015.
How to Apply for a NYIC VISTA Position
1. Create an account at https://my.americorps.gov/ and log in
2. Use the site’s search tool to find the NYIC VISTA positions you are interested in (set Program Type, State and Program Name to “AmeriCorps VISTA”, “New York” and “NYIC” respectively) or click on the appropriate hyperlinks in the following section of this email
3. Click on the “Apply Now” button for any position that you want to apply to
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP, as interviews will begin to be scheduled during the middle of this month.
Open NYIC VISTA Positions
The NYIC is currently seeking individuals to fill the following NYIC VISTA positions. Click on the hyperlinks below to learn more details about each individual position and the agency that it would be placed in.
NYIC Communications VISTA @ Workers’ Center for Central New York (WCCNY) – manage film and other communications projects in support of developing immigrant community awareness of health/anti-poverty issues and programs/services. (based in Syracuse)
NYIC Volunteer Management VISTA @ Workers’ Center for Central New York (WCCNY) – develop and manage a volunteer team to facilitate occupational health and safety rights workshops and other anti-poverty services. (based in Syracuse)