Pictured from left to right: Carol Baum, Peter McCarthy, Pamela Hunter, Nikeeta Slade, and Diana Ryan
Thursday May 4, 2017, we met with Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter to ask her to cosponsor the bill in the assembly (Assembly Bill No. A4050) to expand access to drivers’ licenses regardless of immigration status. We are happy to report that she agreed to be a cosponsor! Please call Assemblywoman Hunter at (315) 449-9536 and thank her for supporting licenses for all in New York! Find out more actions you can take below:
If New York is serious about protecting our undocumented immigrant communities from abusive immigration enforcement, then the time to pass bill A4050 and restore access to drivers licenses, is right now.
WE NEED YOUR HELP IN THIS FIGHT!
In 2002, New York made the cruel and irresponsible decision to strip hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers of their driver’s licenses based on their immigration status. Suddenly, a simple traffic infraction had the real consequence of escalating to arrest and deportation. This has never been more true than under the current federal regime.
Today, New York falls shamefully behind the rest of the country, where more than 12 states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico made the choice to put good policy before politics and successfully pass legislation that provides driver’s license access to their undocumented residents.
5 EASY WAYS TO TAKE ACTION RIGHT NOW!
On May 4th, all across New York State, members of the Green Light NY: Driving Together Coalition are meeting with Assembly Members to ask for their full support of bill A4050. To win this fight we need them to also hear from you – their constituents!
1) CALL: Call your NY Assembly Member today and ask them to sign-on in support of bill A4050 to restore access to drivers licenses, regardless of immigration status! This is the best way to support today and it only takes 3 minutes of your time.
2) TWEET: Post a tweet that publicly shows your support for the bill. Tag your assembly member and #GreenLightNY. Example: @CarlEHeastie The time has come to support bill A4050 and restore drivers licenses for #immigrantNY – Support #GreenLightNY today!
3) SHARE: Help us build support by forwarding this email to your networks and reposting our facebook and twitter posts on your social media.
4) FOLLOW: Follow the Green Light NY: Driving together campaign on Facebook and Twitter so you can help with #3 and stay updated on the campaign.
5) THANK: Call or tweet the current bill sponsors – Assembly Member Francisco Moya, Assembly Member Phil Ramos, Assembly Member Kevin Cahill. Thank them for stepping up to support the bill and ask them to prioritize its passage in 2017.
Green Light NY General Overview
Green Light NY Fact & Fiction
Fiscal Policy Institute Statewide Impact Analysis
Comptroller Stringer NYC Impact Analysis